"The informal and off-the-record format promotes candid discussion and can reveal insights into international affairs not available elsewhere.”
David E. Short,
Senior Counsel, Legal, Trade & International Affairs
Meridian's Global Business@Meridian Downtown monthly series is designed to give members of Meridian's Corporate Council the opportunity to meet and discuss current business issues with ambassadors and other senior members of the diplomatic community. Each program features the Ambassador to the U.S. from a different country. The small group format of Global Business@Meridian Downtown is ideal for an off-the-record discussion of key commercial opportunities and challenges in the featured country.
GLOBAL BUSINESS@MERIDIAN DOWNTOWN is a monthly breakfast series that brings members of the diplomatic community together with members of The Meridian Corporate Council. The series provides business leaders with:
- Opportunities to learn about key commercial issues between the U.S. and its leading trade partners;
- Opportunities to discuss pressing global issues, initiatives, and ideas, relevant to the featured country;
- Introductions to the Ambassador or Deputy Chief of Mission, commercial attaché, and other key officials of those countries.
In addition, Embassy officials are presented with opportunities to engage executives from companies that invest and do business in their country.
- Attendance is limited to 20 attendees, plus speakers.
- Programs are hosted by members of The Meridian Corporate Council at a location in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Programs are typically held from 8:00 to 9:30 am, and are informal breakfast sessions.
- Each program features a different country and focuses on the commercial relations with that country.
- All programs are off the record.
PARTICIPANTS: Meridian’s Corporate Council members have priority, with remaining seats opened to select invitees 5 days prior to each program. Speakers include key officials from the country of focus, including the Ambassador or DCM and other senior embassy officials who work with U.S. companies on commercial interests. In addition, an expert with key insights on the U.S. perspective is featured at each program.
HIGHLIGHTS: Since its launch in May 2011, Global Business@Meridian Downtown has successfully connected Meridian’s Corporate Council with the diplomatic corps, helping its members to more effectively operate and compete in a complex global economy and environment. Featured countries have included Mexico, South Africa, Canada, India, Japan, Turkey, and Brazil, among others.
Download Overview as *.PDF file (0.5MB)